The Bearish "Tell".

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 Paul

Paul

• Traders-Talk User
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 04:13 PM

They might have to kill DESTROY the economy to rid this inflation.

Fair value is SPX 3800 with rates this high.

Excuse my taking liberties in slightly changing your opinion.

And, yes, 3800 is currently the minimal downside price target…10 year yield to 4%.

Fib

Hey Dave, here you say 3800 is your minimal downside target, yet over in the market analysis area you said "What we do know at this time is that those index MCO's that have already made new lows for the year, their respective June price lows will also be taken out over the next couple of weeks with new downside price targets to as low as the COVID crash bottoms of 2020." Just trying to clear up what I am misunderstanding. Thanks

#12 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 05:03 PM

And, yes, 3800 is currently the minimal downside price target…10 year yield to 4%.

Fib

Hey Dave, here you say 3800 is your minimal downside target, yet over in the market analysis area you said "What we do know at this time is that those index MCO's that have already made new lows for the year, their respective June price lows will also be taken out over the next couple of weeks with new downside price targets to as low as the COVID crash bottoms of 2020." Just trying to clear up what I am misunderstanding. Thanks

Thank you for the question...long time, no hear!! Hope you're doing well!

Between the two services at Technical Watch, the Weekly Breadth Updates are more for the intermediate term (4-8 weeks) to longer term (beyond 8 weeks) investor/trader...a potential roadmap or blueprint of what to expect over these same time periods. The Chat Sessions concentrate on the near term (1-2 days) to short term (1-6 weeks) expectations which are more aligned to traders, scalpers and day traders (the little squiggles and turns along the broader path of least resistance). So the 3800 level mentioned is only the minimal downside objective for this specific time frame (short term). The Weekly Breadth Data provides a larger "pullback" view of what we should expect for a potential turn in the current larger trend which, at this time, remains decisively lower (aside from all of the recent distractions (squiggles) seen along this same path).

Bottom line is...breadth of market leads price. Depending on the amplitude of this same money flow quotient in specific time periods, this will then give likely target price objectives to work with until proven otherwise. 

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#13 Paul

Paul

• Traders-Talk User
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 07:00 PM

Fib

Between the two services at Technical Watch, the Weekly Breadth Updates are more for the intermediate term (4-8 weeks) to longer term (beyond 8 weeks) investor/trader...a potential roadmap or blueprint of what to expect over these same time periods. The Chat Sessions concentrate on the near term (1-2 days) to short term (1-6 weeks) expectations which are more aligned to traders, scalpers and day traders (the little squiggles and turns along the broader path of least resistance). So the 3800 level mentioned is only the minimal downside objective for this specific time frame (short term). The Weekly Breadth Data provides a larger "pullback" view of what we should expect for a potential turn in the current larger trend which, at this time, remains decisively lower (aside from all of the recent distractions (squiggles) seen along this same path).

Bottom line is...breadth of market leads price. Depending on the amplitude of this same money flow quotient in specific time periods, this will then give likely target price objectives to work with until proven otherwise. 

Fib

Thanks for the response Dave. It has been along time. Hope you also are doing well! One last question. The NYSI got up over 800 on this last rally. I also noticed SPX advance

decline line hit new highs. Is there any relevance to these occurrences. Thanks in advance. You've always been most gracious in your time and explanations.

Paul

#14 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 11:34 PM

Biggest Fed rate hike in 40 years coming next week?

FOOD INFLATION HIGHEST SINCE '79...

US businesses warn of ‘economic disaster’ over railroad strike threat

I  have  been spending $300 a week for groceries for two people!

(I did buy boneless rib eyes "on sale" for $10.99 lb last week. Wal-Mart had Chuck eyes for the same price! Not long ago Chuck eye steaks were around $2.95 lb)

Edited by Rogerdodger, 13 September 2022 - 11:54 PM.

#15 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 11:43 PM

Fib

One last question. The NYSI got up over 800 on this last rally. I also noticed SPX advance/decline line hit new highs. Is there any relevance to these occurrences. Thanks in advance. You've always been most gracious in your time and explanations.

Thank you for the kind remarks.

Besides the SPX, the OEX advance/decline line also hit new all time highs on this recent rebound from the June/July lows. However, the SPX and OEX volume U/D lines did not. Because volume is what is needed to move prices across the lake of liquidity, unless both cumulative breadth and volume move in tandem, you're not likely to see prices trend for more than a month or two (AKA a counter trend rally).

Also of high consideration is that we are currently working with bear market rules which have their own unique trademarks. In this case, having money moving primarily into value issues, without growth stock participation, highly suggests that much of what we saw in July and August was likely institutionally produced...the reasons of which may only be politically motivated in an election year after seeing the market losing at least 25% in value in the first 6 months of the year (PPT, anyone?). That said, the market was terribly "oversold" at the June/July lows, so it was going to take a bit of time to work off this imbalance. We also have to consider that a lot of the rally was likely currency related as the US Dollar continued to climb higher making anything denominated in this same currency more "valuable" to traders outside the United States. That said, I have no real proof of this idea, but it would explain how the U.S. markets were so buoyant over the summer months in spite of a Federal Reserve that continued to promote their current hawkish monetary policies.

In any event, if the internals were in better shape, and we had much more broader participation, the recent high Summation numbers would had told a different story altogether. Still could, actually. But instead of trending higher, we might just be stuck with prices moving net sideways going into the end of the year until we get better internal market synchronization.

Fib

Edited by fib_1618, 13 September 2022 - 11:44 PM.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

#16 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 11:59 PM

In that vein, and as we go into Wednesday's PPI numbers, the current FedWatch Tool numbers are now showing a 66% chance of a 3/4% hike, with a 34% chance of one full point. As of last Friday, the forecast was 90% for 3/4%...quite a shift. November is suggesting a full 1 1/2% from today.

And the sad thing is, none of this is/was necessary...it's all been politically purposeful.

Fib

#17 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 01:07 AM

kill the economy to rid this inflation

Inflation soared to 13% in Phoenix last month, a record for any US city in data going back 20 years and more than twice as high as San Francisco.

Didn't Trump build a wall around Phoenix,if so inflation could head much higher. (JMHO)

#18 gismeu

gismeu

• Traders-Talk User
  • 908 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 09:17 AM

And the sad thing is, none of this is/was necessary...it's all been politically purposeful.

Fib

Fib,

Would you mind elaborating on that point? I can’t see that.

Thanks, gis
If you can't buy Happiness, STEAL IT!

#19 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 09:55 AM

Fib

Fib,

Would you mind elaborating on that point? I can’t see that.

Thanks, gis

You can start with "two weeks to flatten the curve" and go from there.

The whole thing was real time exercise of "Event 201" and/or "Clade X"...take your pick.

Fib

Edited by fib_1618, 14 September 2022 - 09:55 AM.

#20 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,409 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 10:22 AM

FED will be trying again to talk down inflation, direct & indirect "threats" of drastic action, they MUST be convincing; expect more QE and 

more POWELL talk... markets cannot rally for weeks or months in such an environment.