• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:49 PM

A study released a few years ago by the Harvard School of Public Health compared firearm mortality rates among youngsters 5 to 14 years old in the five states with the highest rates of gun ownership with those in the five states with the lowest rates.The results were chilling. Children in the states with the highest rates of gun ownership were 16 times as likely to die from an accidental gunshot wound, nearly seven times as likely to commit suicide with a gun, and more than three times as likely to be murdered with a firearm.

From Hooked on Violence, by Bob Herbert, op-ed NY Times Thursday April 26

www.nytimes.com
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:06 PM

My neighbor, 3 doors down, was attacked by a pit bulldog tonight.
The bulldog killed his dog and then attacked the neighbor, literally crushing his legs with his teeth.
Another neighbor saved him with a gun!

Apr 25, 2007 9:55 PM

Pit bull attacks man A man is hospitalized after a pit bull attacked him.
It happened in South Tulsa.
Neighbors say the stray attacked and killed the man's dog before attacking him.
A neighbor came out, beat the dog with a stick, and then shot and killed it.
The man suffered severe leg injuries.

My daughter's dog was almost killed a few years ago by another pit bull.
A few years before that, a toddler had his face ripped off by a pit bull.
Just last month, a 70+ year old friend going to his mail box was attacked by a pit bull and hospitalized after the dog crushed his arms.
Last month another pit bull jumped through a man's screen door and attacked his dog in his own house!

What are the stats on Pit bull attacks?

I'd rather have a neighbor with a gun than one with a pit bull.

#3 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:35 AM

When I spent 2 years working in the ER in a small town in Florida, I treated Cigarette related problems, MOtorcycle injuries - at all speeds - and Pit Bull injuries. They were in FAD at the time. Couldn't understand then why poeple would own pit b ulls. Vicious and deadly pets. I'll see if I can get you the stats. mm

#4 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,022 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:45 AM

An ex had a pit bull. Actually a very sweet dog, save for cats. Great deterrent. I actually loved that dog. I was the one to make the "final" call when she got too old and sick. Still, the breed is just plain dangerous. What they naturally want to do is fight and they are just too darned good at it. A bit of bad training or no training, or the wrong circumstance, or just a bad dog and you've got a potential--no a PROBABLE -- tragedy on your hands. I'd say the breed is more dangerous than handguns. And gun injuries among children has been falling steadily for years. At an all time low, I think, nation wide. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#5 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:21 PM

During 1950-1993, the overall annual death rate for U.S. children aged less than 15 years declined substantially (1), primarily reflecting decreases in deaths associated with unintentional injuries, pneumonia, influenza, cancer, and congenital anomalies. However, during the same period, childhood homicide rates tripled, and suicide rates quadrupled (2). In 1994, among children aged 1-4 years, homicide was the fourth leading cause of death; among children aged 5-14 years, homicide was the third leading cause of death, and suicide was the sixth....
from CDC/Morbidity and Mortality Weekly

I'll see if I can dig up the data for the past decade, too.

As for dogs, the data are clearly against owning a pit or rotweiler if you want to keep your fingers, toes or children.

but they are not more dangerous than guns. From 1979 to 1994 there were 294 deaths from dog bites. Quite a few :) less than guns.
mm

Edited by maineman, 26 April 2007 - 03:22 PM.

#6 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:14 AM

,,,,,but they are not more dangerous than guns. From 1979 to 1994 there were 294 deaths from dog bites. Quite a few :) less than guns.
mm

:P Hard to rob a store, bank, or person with a dog. :lol:
:cat:
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:05 AM

A robber walks into a store with a 2x4. "This is a Stick Up! Give me all your money." he says. The clerk says: "Is this a joke? You can't rob anybody with a 2x4!" "WACK!" The robber hits the clerk over the head with the 2x4. As the clerk slowly gets up off the ground and opens the cash register he says: "Here's all the money. Go buy yourself a gun. You're going to kill somebody with that 2x4." <_<

#8 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:36 AM

:P I have been so calm about the gun thing. Now a few things to really start the ball rolling: 300,000 deaths due to DR/nurse/hospital errors each year 45,000 deaths to drunk drivers each year no telling how many from smoking, drinking (TOO much) add to all that the number of deaths by autos/trucks by careless/stupid drivers Get REAL folks, the common link here is PEOPLE. If we control people, we can control deaths by people. And that is not likely going to happen. ;) mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#9 mbradley

mbradley

• Traders-Talk User
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:53 AM

More children under the age of 12 die each year from drowning in the bath tub than die from gun shot wounds. So while someone can 16 times this and seven times that, it needs to be put into perspective. Shooting guns is a lot of fun. Everyone should try it some time.

#10 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

:P
I have been so calm about the gun thing.
Now a few things to really start the ball rolling:
300,000 deaths due to DR/nurse/hospital errors each year
45,000 deaths to drunk drivers each year
no telling how many from smoking, drinking (TOO much)
add to all that the number of deaths by autos/trucks by careless/stupid drivers

Get REAL folks, the common link here is PEOPLE.
If we control people, we can control deaths by people.

And that is not likely going to happen. ;)
mss

Well, we have 2 choices. Complain about it or come together in a positive way.
We increased drinking age to 21 from 18 and saw a drop in drunk driving accidents.
We enforce seat belt laws and see a drop in death and injury. We could be doing better still - airbags,etc.
Drunk driving laws are tougher and people know it.
Teach your children and model good behavior.
We increase public awareness about smoking. Smoking rates have dropped. We should be adding even more taxes. Insurers should stop insuring smokers or raise the hell out of their premiums.
We in the medical field are proud of what we do. Anytime you want to review the increase in longevity, the drop in childhood illnesses, the survival rates in cancer, the work we do via the AMA AGAINST guns, etc. I'd be happy to talk about it.

If you want to save the world, save yourself. Every little bit helps. Inch by inch, row by row, I'm gonna make my garden grow..... All I need is a rake and a hoe and the rain come tumbling down.

mm