• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:22 AM

If you want to save the world, save yourself. Every little bit helps. Inch by inch, row by row, I'm gonna make my garden grow..... All I need is a rake and a hoe and the rain come tumbling down.

mm

A very excellent post MM and it boils down to personal responsibility.

PS: But before you fall out of favor (ala Imus) they are now called "ground scratcher and ground chopper". :blush:
best to you,mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#12 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:06 AM

More children under the age of 12 die each year from drowning in the bath tub than die from gun shot wounds. So while someone can 16 times this and seven times that, it needs to be put into perspective.

Shooting guns is a lot of fun. Everyone should try it some time.

Here's the death stats for the year 2000. Under "External Causes of Injury"
All: 148,200
Drowning: 4073
Firearm: 28,663

There are a few more "unintentional" drownings than Gun Homicides for the very young.You are right.

You need a tub. You don't need a gun.

mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#13 Wallcrawler

Wallcrawler

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:02 PM

Guns to me is no differnt than money... both are tools... Depends whos hands they are in... I never seen a headline that said ... they arrested a gun or an amount of money... it is always the people behind it that get the cuffs on them. The children who get harmed by guns is nothing more than stupid parents who have no clue how to store their guns etc.... once again though.... hardly the guns fault... Reminds me of the statement between Tom Selleck and Rosie O'Donnel... Tom said something along the lines... That's like saying it's the spoons fault that someone is fat... I do have more on this issue but have to run.... will get back to it... hopefully... I know it is not that simple of an issue...

Edited by Wallcrawler, 27 April 2007 - 12:08 PM.

$ No more effort is required to aim high in life, or to demand excellence and success than is required to accept failure and poverty. $ ~ Anonomous

#14 TechSkeptic

TechSkeptic

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:32 PM

Guns to me is no differnt than

The children who get harmed by guns is nothing more than stupid parents who have no clue how to store their guns etc.... once again though.... hardly the guns fault...

Hardly the kids fault either. Children are always at risk from stupid and careless parents, but having guns makes it that much riskier.

Some kids are very curious. It's nearly impossible to hide anything such that my son wouldn't be able to find it. And when I do, I usually have trouble finding/retrieving it myself. If I were to own a gun, I would have to separate the guns and ammo in two different remote hiding places in the house, which would make it hardly very useful if I needed it spontaneously to stop an intruder.

#15 TechSkeptic

TechSkeptic

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:47 PM

If you want to save the world, save yourself. Every little bit helps. Inch by inch, row by row, I'm gonna make my garden grow..... All I need is a rake and a hoe and the rain come tumbling down.

mm

A very excellent post MM and it boils down to personal responsibility.

PS: But before you fall out of favor (ala Imus) they are now called "ground scratcher and ground chopper". :blush:
best to you,mss

Agree, and LOL on the Imus reference.

#16 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:51 PM

I don't have a gun or want one.
I do want the option.
Don't I have a right to privacy?

I love the "Rosie" types who rail against guns and then hire armed security guards. ???
Or they rely on the police who are armed.
Two guys have been killed in Tulsa this month by COPS!
Both victims had NO FIREARMS but "reached for their waistband".

There are no tighter gun laws than those in Japan, yet on the day of the Virginia shooting, a Mayor in Japan was killed. Not by a gun but by a gangster with a gun. News Link

In the past 10 years, there have been 4 murders and one murder/suicide within a mile of my home.
The murder and the murder/suicide was with a gun.
However one guy didn't believe in guns so he used a hatchet to kill his wife and two teen aged daughters.

EDIT: I forgot about the armed customer at Safeway who shot two robbers, killing one. They were robbing the store and threatening to kill the manager. He was interviewed on the anniversary of the incident. He was still emotionally affected by his actions but the manager was VERY thankful, and ALIVE thanks to an armed customer!

If you can prevent crime, hate, rage, jealousy, envy, depression, drug and alchol abuse, etc., then guns will be a mute point.

Cars, guns, knives, rocks, and sticks don't kill people.

Don't forget: In 1994 800,000 people were killed in Rwanda by MACHETE!
But no one noticed.
Too bad the 800,000 dead people didn't have a gun.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 27 April 2007 - 08:05 PM.

#17 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:16 PM

Don't forget: In 1994 800,000 people were killed in Rwanda by MACHETE!
But no one noticed.

Sorry. My bad.
Machetes can't kill people. They are inanimate objects.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 27 April 2007 - 08:29 PM.

#18 AChartist

AChartist

Tim

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:50 AM

I bought some guns once and since got rid of them. We were being threatened by a psychopathic teanager. Found footprints outside our window and other strange things occured. Police would do nothing. I went to the kids house, found telescope trained out the window behind miniblinds, they would not answer the door. Found many things out, the kid was arrested for filming women in the neighborhood. Then found out the police were up there several times for domestic disturbance, he was threatening his mother and sister, no father home. I cornered the kid outside one time but he ran away. Good thing I might have killed him. I got the whole story from a police dispatcher about the films and domestic disturbances, then when I called back to talk to a detective and talked again to the dispatcher, all of sudden amnesia, dispatcher said he didnt recall our converstation and didn't know anything about the kid. Then found out the kid's father was a judge and owned the cable company. Yep you are F*ed in this country is why the poeple want their own guns. When the new world order, trilateral commission, UN, whoever "they" are want to lock down the police state you'll get a black ops school shooting and peculiar support for gun control coming from unexpected places. I didnt understand when I was young why the older people were so skeptical and wanted things like guns and gold. I guess it's always been the same, it just takes some time and case by case awakening with age. The old poeple I grew up around said guns are why we would never be invaded like hitler did poland. That's what they thought about. I don't have any guns now because the, the kid is in military. And the police state will always have much bigger guns. I just be a good german when it comes to the police state. I would say now the citizens guns are the only thing left standing between the constitution and patriot acts. Think about patriot act, 20k pages prepared in one month between 911 and anthrax, lol, it was on the shelf. If anyone read it there's probably stuff in there already to get the guns.

"marxism-lennonism-communism always fails and never worked, because I know

some of them, and they don't work"  M.Jordan

#19 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:04 AM

I didnt understand when I was young why the older people were so
skeptical and wanted things like guns and gold. I guess it's always been the same,
it just takes some time and case by case awakening
with age.

That's what I'm discovering about myself.
I was very much an "idealist" at 20.
I was opposed to any war and guns in general.
Still don't like either.
Most often guns offer a sense of security.
Which may be false in as much as they do bring danger into one's home due to accidents,etc.
My father-in-law drew his gun on his 4 year old daughter in the dark one night when he heard something in the hall.
But last week, my neighbor was visciously attacked by a pit bull.
Another neighbor dispatched his gun and then dispatched the dog.
Perhaps saving a man's life... with a gun.

#20 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,022 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:30 AM

More children under the age of 12 die each year from drowning in the bath tub than die from gun shot wounds. So while someone can 16 times this and seven times that, it needs to be put into perspective.

Shooting guns is a lot of fun. Everyone should try it some time.

Here's the death stats for the year 2000. Under "External Causes of Injury"
All: 148,200
Drowning: 4073
Firearm: 28,663

There are a few more "unintentional" drownings than Gun Homicides for the very young. You are right.
You need a tub. You don't need a gun.
mm

You sorta drop the key context here and assert pretty darned broadly.

A, you DON'T "NEED" a tub or a pool. You choose to have one or both if you want to bathe or swim. You can choose to do neither and eliminate that risk to children.

Accidental gun deaths among children are at an all time low. Meanwhile, deterrence of crime through the use of guns is quite high.

Deaths Due to Unintentional Injuries, 2000 (Estimates) (Source of data, National Safety Council, Injury Facts, 2001 Edition, pp. 8, 9, 84

Accident Type ......................Age
........................................ 0-4 .... 5-14 .... 15-24 .... 25-44 .... 45-64 .... 65-74 .... 75+ .... Total
All Automobile .................. 900 .... 1,500 ... 10,500 .. 13,300 ... 9,200 .... 2,700 ... 4,900 ...43,000
Falls ................................ 70 ....... 70 ....... 210 ...... 950 ....... 1,900 .... 1,700 .. 11,300 .. 16,200
Drowning ........................ 450 ...... 350 ..... 700 ...... 1,250 ..... 650 ....... 230 ..... 270 ....... 3,900
Firearms ......................... 20 ........ 60 ...... 150 ....... 190 ....... 110 ....... 30 ....... 40 ......... 600

Get rid of the swimming pools!!!

M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter